The Thatched Pub Project
There are over 500 Thatched Pubs in England and Wales
Let's visit them all!
Chichester Arms, Bishops Tawton
1. Chichester Arms, Bishops Tawton, Barnstaple, Devon EX32 0DQ
Welcoming old pub where this project began.
Horse and Jockey, Wrexham
2. Horse and Jockey, Wrexham, Denbighshire LL11 1BG
A remarkable town centre survivor.
3. Wheatsheaf, Raby, Wirral, Merseyside CH63 4JH
A rural pub remarkably close to the Merseyside connurbation.
Devon Doorway, Heswell
4. Devon Doorway, Heswell, Wirral, Merseyside CH60 2SA
An eyecatching product of 30's design.
Gardeners Arms, Alderton
5. Gardeners Arms, Alderton, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire GL20 8NL
A perfect village pub.
Thatched Tavern, Honeybourne
6. Thatched Tavern, Honeybourne, Evesham, Worcestershire WR11 7PQ
This impressive cruck ended pub is a must.
Old Thatch Tavern, Stratford-upon-Avon
7. Old Thatch Tavern, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire CV37 6LE
Quality front bar with tapestry above a period fireplace.
Wagon Wheel, Grimley
8. Wagon Wheel, Grimley, Worcestershire WR2 6LU
Nice feel to the bar area and pleasing to find real ale.
Red House, Marsh Benham
9. Red House, Marsh Benham, Newbury RG20 8LY
Ample bar stools and a comfortable foot rail to assist in savouring a quality pint.
Crown Inn, Kings Somborne
10. Crown Inn, Romsey Road, Kings Somborne, Stockbridge SO20 6PW
A great building and a great bar. Another must do.
Five Bells, Wickham
11. Five Bells, Baydon Road, Wickham, Newbury RG20 8HH
An impressive range of quality ale.
Manor Farm Barn, Southfleet
12. Manor Farm Barn, Hampstead Lane, Southfleet, Gravesend DA13 9PU
Fantastic thatched barn with tasteful beer decor.
Chestfield Barn, Whitstable
13. Chestfield Barn, 101 Chesterfield Road, Chestfield, Whitstable CT5 3LU
An even more fantastic thatched barn, wonderfully cared for by Shepherd Neame.
The Boathouse, Yalding
14. The Boathouse, Hampstead Lane, Yalding, Maidstone ME18 6HG
A modern extension adjoins what in days past was the Anchor pub of Medway boatmen.
The Harrow, Shepperton
15. The Harrow, 142 Charlton Road, Shepperton, Middlesex TW17 0RJ
The incredible Harrow, once a cottage and now, effectively, London's only thatched pub.
The Waterside, Woodley, Reading
16. The Waterside, Fairwater Drive, Woodley, Reading RG5 3EZ
Highly complex thatch at this amazing suburban local.
Thatched Cottage, Shepton Mallet
17. Thatched Cottage, 63-67 Charlton Road, Shepton Mallet Somerset BA4 5QF
A competent welcome and we much enjoyed our beer at this well cared for inn.
Kings Head, Cheddar
18. Kings Head, 1 Silver Street, Cheddar, Somerset BS27 3LE
Friendly backstreet local. A relaxing gem.
Red Lion, Chalton
19. Red Lion, Chalton, Waterlooville, Hampshire PO8 0BG
Catch it quiet to fully savour this fantastic front bar.
Gribble Inn, Oving
20. Gribble Inn, Gribble Lane, Oving, Chichester, Sussex PO20 2BP
Great beer here from the onsite brewery.
Thatched Tavern, East Wittering
21. Thatched Tavern, Church Road, East Wittering, Chichester, Sussex PO20 8PU
Another perfect pub.
The Bull, Great Milton
22. Oxfordshire, The Bull, The Green, Great Milton, Oxford OX44 7NS
A fantastic effort from this Community Pub as lockdown starts to ease. Recommended.
Bottle and Glass, Gibraltar
23. Bottle and Glass, Gibraltar, Aylesbury, Bucks HP17 8TY
Another great lockdown effort as we carry our takeaway food and drink to nearby open space.
The Crown, Cuddington
24. The Crown, Spurt Street, Cuddington, Aylesbury, Bucks HP18 0BB
Lockdown takeaways have thrived at this excellent village pub.
Farmers Arms, Combe Florey
25. Farmers Arms, Combe Florey, Taunton, Somerset TA4 3HZ
Takeaway ale decanted by a Camra volunteer and a superb takeaway Sunday lunch on a nearby common.
All in all a memorable visit!
Dun Cow, Hornton
26. Dun Cow, Hornton, Banbury, Oxfordshire OX15 6DA
10/10 for the Dun Cow during pub lockdown.
A great takeaway effort for a midway call on a lockdown walk.
The Bell, Chearsley
27. The Bell, Church Lane, Chearsley, Aylesbury, Bucks. HP18 0DJ
A final take out experience at this lovely village pub on the eve of reopening.
Rising Sun, Ickford
28. Rising Sun, 36 Worminghall Road, Ickford, Aylesbury, Bucks. HP18 9JD
The first reopening pint, perfect Adnams.
A great reopening effort and really nice to be at the Rising Sun for this important occassion.
Clifden Arms, Worminghall
29. Clifden Arms, Worminghall, Aylesbury, Bucks. HP22 4NL
Next on today's reopening day walk and almost in the fields, drinks for the attractive pub garden of the Clifden Arms.
Chandos Arms, Oakley
30. Chandos Arms, 8 The Turnpike, Oakley, Aylesbury, Bucks. HP18 9QB
Great to find this pub so well supported on reopening day.
Golden Swan, Wilcot
31. Golden Swan, Wilcot, Pewsey, Wiltshire SN9 5NN
An immaculate village pub with a large campsite.
Seven Stars, Bottlesford
32. Seven Stars, Gores Lane, Bottlesford, Pewsey, Wiltshire SN9 6LW
Another country pub emerging from lockdown by reopening in stages.
Coopers Arms, Pewsey
33. Coopers Arms, 37-39 Ball Road, Pewsey, Wiltshire SN9 5BL
A homely local shaded at the front by two large yews.
The Royal Oak, Wootton Rivers
34. Royal Oak, Wootton Rivers, Marlborough, Wiltshire SN8 4NQ
Bursting with character and the perfect end to a Wiltshire cycling day.
Fisherman's Cot, Bickleigh
35. Fisherman's Cot, Bickleigh, Tiverton, Devon EX16 8RW
Superbly located pub by a weir of the River Exe.
Old Court House, Chulmleigh
36. Old Court House, South Molton Street, Chulmleigh, Devon EX18 7BW
A great pub with the old Court Room coat of arms still in situ in an upstairs room.
Old Smithy Inn, Welcombe
37. Old Smithy Inn, Welcombe, Bideford, Devon EX39 6HG
A lovely visit to this very rural pub.
Farmers Arms, Woolfardisworthy
38. Farmers Arms, Woolfardisworthy, Bideford, Devon EX39 5QS
An astonishing renovation courtesy of a philanthropic benefactor.
This is the decor on emerging from the facilities!
Thatched Inn, Abbotsham
39. Thatched Inn, Pump Lane, Abbotsham, Bideford, Devon EX39 5BA
Colourful outdoor seating at this busy village pub.
Ship Inn, Porlock
40. Ship Inn, High Street, Porlock, Minehead, Somerset TA24 8QD
Porlock's amazing 13th Century "Top Ship".
A must do pub.
Craven Arms, Appletreewick
41. Craven Arms, Appletreewick, Skipton, Yorkshire BD23 6DA
A wonderful pub incorporating a heather thatched barn amongst its maze of stone flagged rooms.
Black Bull, Etal
42. Black Bull, Etal, Cornhill-on-Tweed, Northumberland TD12 4TL
This one is special. England's most northerly thatched pub by a very long way.
And great beer too from the nearby Cheviot Brewery.
Golden Lion, Hartlepool
43. Golden Lion, Dunston Road, Hartlepool, Durham TS26 0EN
A new build thatched pub that much adds to the local area.
Pied Bull, Shepshed
44. Pied Bull, 49 Belton Street, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicestershire LE12 9AA
Immculately rethatched and an excellent suburban local.
45. Plough, Mill Street, Prestbury, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL52 3BG
A legendary, low ceilinged, real ale pub.
Visited on this occasion at the start of a long run to Bredon.
Kings Head, Bishop's Cleeve
46. Kings Head, 19 Cheltenham Road, Bishop's Cleeve, Cheltenham. Gloucestershire GL19 3EF
A large thatched pub sandwiched between a supermarket and a creatively restored tithe barn.
Visited on this occasion during a 13.1 mile run to Bredon.
Fox and Hounds, Bredon
47. Fox and Hounds, Church Street, Bredon, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire GL20 7LA
A wonderful pub experience. We will be back!
48. Crown , Cholderton, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP4 0DN
Suprisingly tucked away for a main road pub.
Yew Tree, Odstock
49. Yew Tree, Whitsbury Road, Odstock, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP5 4JE
A fascinating, end on, village pub.
50. Woolpack, Ringwood Road, Sopley, Christchurch, Hampshire BH23 7AX
Tasteful beer decor and a perfect pint of Ringwood ale.
Three Tuns, Bransgore
51. Three Tuns, Ringwood Road, Bransgore, Christchurch, Hampshire BH23 8JH
A quality pub with quality ale much to the fore.
Cat and Fiddle, Hinton Admiral
52. Cat and Fiddle, Lyndhurst Road, Hinton Admiral, Christchurch, Hampshire BH23 7DS
Now part of the Harvester chain but still with the inglenook features of its roadside bar.
At the time of our visit this exceptionally historic inn, perhaps 11th century in origin, looked superb.
White Hart, Over Wallop
53. White Hart, Station Road, Over Wallop, Stockbridge, Hampshire SO20 8HU
Everything is just right here. One of the best so far.
With an iconic thatched wall to admire too.
Angel, North Shoebury
54. Angel, Parsons Corner, North Shoebury, Southend-on-Sea, Essex SS3 8UD
Nice to find hop garlands draped from the timbers of this pleasingly restored pub.
Huntsman and Hounds, Althorne
55. Huntsman and Hounds, Green Lane, Althorne, South Woodham Ferrers, Essex CM3 6BJ
An excellent Grays house with a superb pub feel.
The Thatchers, Hatfield Heath
56. The Thatchers, Stortford Road, Hatfield Heath, Bishop's Stortford, Essex CM22 7DU
A lovely looking weatherboard pub with a thatcher's legget and shearing hook on the pub sign.
Stag and Pheasant, Newton
57. Stag and Pheasant, 27 Main Street, Newton, Rugby, Warwickshire CV23 0DY
Nice to find character thatched pubs in unexpected locations.
A friendly local with its leather skittles table prominent in the bar.
Owd Nell's Tavern, Bilsborrow
58. Owd Nell's Tavern, St Michael's Road, Bilsborrow, Preston, Lancashire PR3 0RS
An unusual, interesting, canalside complex with many real ales on tap in the bar.
Ye Olde Black Bear, Sandbach
60. Ye Olde Black Bear, High Street, Sandbach, Cheshire CW11 1AX
Historic town centre Punch Taverns house with an impressive courtyard. Undergoing rebranding.
Monkey House, Woodmancote
61. Monkey House, Woodmancote, Defford, Worcester, Worcestershire WR8 9BW
Amazing cider house with negligible inside seating. The serving hatch is to the lower left of the main building.
62. Swan, Church Street, Birlingham, Pershore, Worcestershire, WR10 3AG
High quality Goffs beer here. Cheltenham Gold is well named!
Bicknoller Inn, Bicknoller
63. Bicknoller Inn, 32 Church Lane. Bicknoller, Taunton, Somerset TA4 4EL
A highly regarded Palmers pub with a statement roof.
Masons Arms, Williton
64. Masons Arms, 2 North Road, Williton, Taunton, Somerset, TA4 4SN
An incredible shaped pub in which one feels quite at home.
Ship Inn, Porlock Weir
65. Ship Inn, Porlock Weir, Minehead, Somerset TA24 8PB
Porlock Weir's harbourside "Bottom Ship".
The second thatched Ship Inn in Porlock!
Rising Sun, Lynmouth
66. Rising Sun, Harbourside, Lynmouth, Devon EX35 6EG
An historic pub in a great location.
Hoops Inn, Horns Cross
67. Hoops Inn, Horns Cross, Bideford, Devon EX39 5DL
Top marks across the board here. A quality experience.
Bell Inn, Parkham
68. Bell Inn, Rectory Lane, Parkham, Bideford, Devon EX39 5PL
High standards here plus an impressive collection of horse brasses.
Torridge Inn, Taddiport
69. Torridge Inn, 136 Mill Street, Taddiport, Torrington, Devon EX38 8AW
A really character pub that is definitely different.
Bell Inn, Monkleigh
70. Bell Inn, Monkleigh, Bideford, Devon EX39 5JS
A jovial beer here with banter from the bar and pub dogs tussling away.
Black Dog Inn, Black Dog
71. Black Dog Inn, Black Dog, Crediton, Devon EX17 4QS
A lovely feel to this pub with quality beer, tea cups from the beams and home made cakes on the bar.
Ring of Bells, Cheriton Fitzpaine
72. Ring of Bells, The Heyes, Cheriton Fitzpaine, Crediton, Devon EX17 4JG
Where Scamp keeps an eye on everything from his prominent spot in the cosy bar.
Live and Let Live, Bringsty Common
73. Live and Let Live, Bringsty Common, Bromyard, Herefordshire WR6 5UW
Herefordshire's only Thatched Pub and a great one too.
An astonishing survivor. Go there!
74. Chequers, Abingdon Road, Burcot, Abingdon, Oxfordshire OX14 3DP
Well looked after here.
Barley Mow, Clifton Hampden
75. Barley Mow, High Street, Clifton Hampden, Abingdon, Oxfordshire OX14 3EH
Famous River Thames pub with a long history now under the Chef and Brewer brand.
Talkhouse, Stanton St. John
76. Talkhouse, Wheatley Road, Stanton St. John, Oxford, Oxfordshire OX33 1EX
A well restored Fullers pub that brands itself on its phone box.
Nut Tree, Murcott
72. Nut Tree, Main Street, Murcott, Kidlington, Oxfordshire OX5 2RE
Lovely looking Otmoor pub with its bar in an inglenook fireplace.
Old Thatched Inn, Stanton under Bardon
78. Old Thatched Inn, 289 Main Street, Stanton under Bardon, Markfield, Leicestershire LE67 9TQ
Excellent pint of Pedigree in an old thatched inn that is usefully handy for junction 22 of the M1.
Star Inn, Harome
79. Star Inn, Main Street, Harome, Helmsley, Yorkshire YO62 5JE
An immaculate village pub with an amazing reputation.
Includes a cosy bar for normal times and a large beer garden for the right weather.
Crab and Lobster, Asenby
80. Crab and Lobster, Asenby, Thirsk, Yorkshire YO7 3QL
Much changed from its Shoulder of Mutton days and now part of a quirky, upmarket hotel.
The Smoker, Plumley
81. The Smoker, Chester Road, Plumley, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 0TY
Named after a racehorse, this long established coaching inn remains an attractive stopping off point.
Rose Inn, Willoughby
82. Rose Inn, Main Street, Willoughby, Rugby, Warwickshire CV23 8BH
A homely pub.
White Horse, Welton
83. White Horse, High Street, Welton, Daventry, Northamptonshire NN11 2JP
A really enjoyable evening at this popular village pub.
Wooden Walls of Old England, Collingtree
84. Wooden Walls of Old England, 25 High Street, Collingtree, Northampton, Northamptonshire NN4 0NE.
Made very welcome here as we cycle from the Grand Union Canal to this distinctively named pub.
Royal Oak, Blisworth
85. Royal Oak, 1 Chapel Lane, Blisworth, Northampton, Northamptonshire NN7 3BU
Thatched at the rear and a really nice buzz to this canal village local.
Nags Head, Great Linford
86. Nags Head, 30 High Street, Great Linford, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK14 5AX
A large trophy cabinet salutes the many teams from this obviously bouyant pub.
Cross Keys, Woolstone
87. Cross Keys, 34 Newport Road, Woolstone, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire MK15 0AA
An impressively maintained Charles Wells house that exceeded expectations throughout.
Shoulder of Mutton, Little Horwood
88. Shoulder of Mutton, Church Street, Little Horwood, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire MK17 0PF
A community pub for a while and now the character village pub one so loves to find.
Crooked Billet, Newton Longville
89. Crooked Billet, 2 Westwood End, Newton Longville, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire MK17 0DF
With the quality Abbot Ale expected of a Greene King pub.
Boat Inn, Stoke Bruerne
90. Boat Inn 6, Stoke Bruerne, Shutlanger Road, Towcester, Northamptonshire NN12 7SB
As the narrowboat crew relax at this legendary waterways pub.
Old Kings Head, Long Buckby
91. Old Kings Head, 2 Harbidges Lane, Long Buckby, Northampton, Northamptonshire NN6 7QL
Tiger Ale for us in the attractive main bar.
The Fleece, Bretforton
92. The Fleece, The Cross, Bretforton, Evesham, Worcestershire WR11 7JE
A wonderful and varied National Trust pub. Another must.
Kings Arms, Tedburn St Mary
93. Kings Arms, Huish Lane, Tedburn St Mary, Exeter, Devon EX6 6EG
A lovely looking pub both inside and out. A pleasure to visit.
Bearslake Inn, Sourton
94. Bearslake Inn, Sourton, Okehampton, Devon, EX20 4HQ
A former Devon longhouse dating back to the 1200's and a licensed tea rooms en route to becoming the inn of today.
Duke of York, Iddesleigh
95. Duke of York, Iddesleigh, Winkleigh, Devon EX19 8BL
Pretty much every award going for this friendly country local and all richly deserved!
George Hotel, Hatherleigh
96. George Hotel, 5 Market Street, Hatherleigh, Okehampton, Devon EX23 3JN
At the heart of a very thatched town.
Superb beer and a quality experience throughout.
Pint and Post, St. Giles on the Heath
97. Pint and Post, St. Giles on the Heath, Launceston, Devon PL15 9SA
Once the village post office and now a cosy little pub with its bar under the stairs.
New Inn, Sampford Courtenay
98. New Inn, Green Hill, Sampford Courtenay, Okehampton, Devon, EX20 2TB
Well placed in this impressive village and one of four thatched "New Inns" in Devon.
Mason Arms, South Leigh
99. Mason Arms, Station Road, South Leigh, Witney, Oxfordshire OX29 6XN
Another lovely old pub that was once a farmhouse. Now very upmarket.
Falkland Arms, Great Tew
100. Falkland Arms, 19-21 The Green, Great Tew, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire OX7 4DB
Wonderful Wadworths beer and woodpaneled and cosy inside.
Coach and Horses, Buckland Brewer
101. Coach and Horses, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LU
A perfect village pub and the fourth so far with a Mounting Block outside.
Old George, High Bickington
102. Old George, Poplar Terrace, High Bickington, Umberleigh, Devon EX37 9AY
Attractive village location and an impressive games room.